Hi! I'm glad you found this blog. Feel free to look around, but just wanted to let you know that I no longer update this blog and I'm now blogging over at Into The Glimmer. I hope you'll join me there! Cheers!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

shopping list:: weekend casual from american eagle

So earlier this week, we discussed how I fail at weekend casual looks but I managed find a super cute ruffled sweatshirt and actually look pulled together for once. I went out with a blaze of glory in that one because this weekend, I'm back to my total fail of a hoodie and pj pants. Hey, the only things I have to do today involve thesis proposals and taxes. Don't be jealous.

Besides, this week was so horrendously horrible, I don't think I even have the energy to do more than lift the coffee cup to my mouth at the moment. Totally wiped out. I hate weeks like that. So really, big fat YAY for the weekend. Too bad I'm already dreading Monday and it's barely even Saturday afternoon.

But enough of the pity party and back to a much more important topic- finding decently cute but casual weekend gear.

I'm often leery of American Eagle because I fear if I wear their clothes I'll look like a sorority girl trying way too hard to relive the glory days, but D and I stopped in at the store last weekend because he needed some pants (because apparently guys can shop there at any age and be just fine) and I found myself oddly drawn to a lot of the womens clothing.

Never mind that the sales associate (who probably is currently in her glory days as a sorority girl) called me "ma'am." (Does anyone else who is clearly not in "ma'am" territory despise being called that? I know it's not just me here, people.)

Thankfully, I can avoid the store and the whole "ma'am" experience by happily pointing and clicking my mouse (apparently, I've also got the energy right now to do that). A few of my picks below:

ae-tops
top row: aerie slouchy slub cardi, ae floaty print cami
middle row: ae boyfriend plaid shirt, ae casual cropped popover
bottom row: ae dot tunic, ae floral tunic


ae-bottoms
top row: ae utility midi short, ae slouchy skinny military pant
bottom row: ae boyfriend fit chino, ae peasant skirt


So really, who else hates "ma'am"? And does anyone over the age of 25 ever stop in at AE and buy clothes?

9 comments:

Blondie said...

They have such cute things and I've gotten some great pieces that have lasted me for eons, literally. Yet, somehow I never think about going in there at the mall or even browsing online. I just forget about them for some reason.

Christine said...

I actually buy a lot of jeans there and sometimes jewelry (online), but I never think to buy anything else. Maybe I'm scarred. I was a manager there when I was 23/24, so maybe that's why I feel old when I shop there now. I still have stuff from when I worked there and it has held up well, just like you said, Blondie.

Sam said...

AE got way too popular here, so I stopped buying things there. The pants are usually too low, and the sweaters and tees stretch out ridiculously. The sweatpants however are amazing. Maybe it's just the quality in recent years.

I hate looking like everyone else too much to shop there now. Tiny island means everyone wears the same things. Too annoying for words!

http://mygrowingobsessions.blogspot.com

belinda said...

Yes even though Iam much older than you I still hate to be called that.. I dont need to feel any older..lol

Anonymous said...

I live in a big college town so I stay away from those stores, but it makes me feel like I'm dressing like the students. That being sad, I think they have REALLY cute stuff and if I lived in an older area, I would have NO hesitations shopping there. In fact, your post makes me want to get check out the spring stuff!

The Suburb Experiment said...

I'm over 30 and I buy stuff there. I shop online though. I think if you mix in pieces and not do it head to toe it's not too young. Or at least that's what I tell myself. :)

Jenn

Christine said...

@Sam and Hope, I used to see it when I lived in a different town, but now all I see here is Urban Outfitters. Everywhere.

@Belinda, glad I'm not the only one with this issue!

@The Suburban Experiment, yeah, I sort of feel like that, too. Mixing it up is good. Head-to-toe anything kind of makes me feel like a brand groupie anyway. :-)

Macy Dawn said...

Drooling over that subtle plaid shirt. After the 30 for 30 challenge, I have added some button up shirts to my newly spruced closet.

Kylie Mc said...

i discovered AE thru my twin sisters (who are 9 yrs younger than me...lol), just a few yrs ago. i never really paid much attention to it, i guess i sort of had that same thought, that it was for younger shoppers (high school & college). but i have to say that i really love it. i have found some great pieces there, and yes, they hold up so well. i'm lucky bcuz we don't have AE here in riyadh so i can wear it w/o that fear of looking like everyone else...lol. and i may have an AE hoodie on right now as i type this. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...