Hi! I'm glad you found this blog. Feel free to look around, but just wanted to let you know that I no longer update this blog and I'm now blogging over at Into The Glimmer. I hope you'll join me there! Cheers!

Friday, January 21, 2011

fashion beauty friend friday:: being authentic

Happy Friday! I don't know about you, but I had the longest week ever. It started when I woke up on Tuesday and thought it was Wednesday, then Wednesday I thought it was Thursday, then Thursday I thought it was Friday. Do you have any idea how exhausting it is to do three days twice in one week?

But today is actually Friday (right???) and I'm introducing a new weekly feature. I can't take credit for this idea. Fashion Beauty Friend Friday (FBFF) is the brainchild of Katy over at Modly Chic. Every week, she creates a set of questions and FBFF participants answer them on our blogs. On Friday. See, that's why it's called Fashion Beauty Friend Friday. Visit her blog to find out more or join the fun!

This week, we're talking about the value of authenticity in the blogging world.

express-yourself-image
{ express yourself fine art photography print by gabrielle kai }

1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the
blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity?

It's so funny that this is the topic for my very first FBFF. Authenticity is the exact reason why I chose to merge all of my blogs into Displaced Urbanite and the topic has been rolling around in my brain for a few weeks.

To me, authenticity is just being real. Being yourself and letting your own voice shine through. Not trying to mimic a popular blogger or forcing yourself to take on a voice and a persona that's not really you. Obviously, blogs are highly edited versions of our true selves, but when someone is using an obviously forced or fake voice to their blog, readers can tell. For me, that fakeness is an instant turnoff.

2. When it comes to your blog how to you infuse it with that true/
authentic feeling?

As mentioned, I moved all of my blogs into this blog because I felt like this blog was the most "me." Yes, I love indie shopping and handmade and I will (and do) continue to blog about that here. But for me being able to just let loose and use my true voice and write exactly what I'm thinking all while delivering (hopefully) interesting content just trumps trying to produce something that isn't the best representation of me.

It's far more fun, far less exhausting and requires much less thought to just be myself and post about what truly interests me at that exact moment rather than posting about just one topic.Plus, I work in marketing. I deal with strategy and planning all day, every day. I want my blog to be a refuge from the strategy and the planning. (Not that I never plan out posts here, but allowing myself some leeway to post about a variety of topics feels much less confining than posting in a niche.)

3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What
made you lose interest?

I wouldn't say I've stopped following a blog, but I do read a few with less regularity. And my loss of interest does boil down to a lack of authenticity as opposed to uninteresting content. I understand if you're not the greatest writer but you still want to blog. I can look past that, but if it becomes obvious to me that you are trying to sound like another blogger or what you think is popular out there in blogland, even if you have content that interests me, I'm going to stop reading regularly.

Using a fake blogging voice is the equivalent to carrying around fake Gucci bag. It's tacky, it devalues the creativity of the creator and it makes you look like a wannabe. And it cheats you out of something that's truly unique and more valuable than that fake bag ever will be- discovering your own voice. Better to be the less expensive but real non-designer bag than the fake knock-off, right?

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't
live in real life... what are some ways you try to live an authentic
life?

Remember when your mom told you to just be yourself and your real friends would like you for it (or in spite of it)? Well, mom was right. I'm myself all the time, every where. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't put on a fake facade. If I like you, you know it. If I don't...well, we'll be cordial but we won't be grabbing a coffee together or laughing over drinks any time soon.

5. Give a shout-out... Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine
and why?

Fortunately, there are so many bloggers out there who are genuine (more that are than that aren't). Here are a few of my favorites:

Whew! I made it through my first FBFF. Check out the rest of the FBFF bunch right here. Happy weekend, everyone!

6 comments:

Brandi Hussey said...

Hey friend, thanks for the shout out! I'm totally flattered. :D

I have to agree with you on everything you've said here, from bloggers to real life and back. I think it's important to be yourself all the time, because no one can do you the way you can, right?

I'm pretty much the same person online as I am off, except for two things: I kind of have a sailor mouth and I tend to ramble. So, blogging helps me edit those things out. :)

Jan said...

"Better to be the less expensive but real non-designer bag than the fake knock-off, right?" - so very well put my dear! Have a great weekend :)

Liz said...

Great answers! Blogging is definitely about being as authentic as you can be while still editing yourself... definitely true to just be yourself!

KT said...

Congrats on your first FBFF, I'm thrilled you are planning on making this a regular feature. Can't wait to read what else you have to say on all the crazy topics we dream up. - Katy

Kylie Mc said...

omg, thank u. u r so sweet for giving me a shout out on ur blog. i luv this post. being authentic is so very important to me. great post! :)

Christine said...

Hey everyone, sorry I'm so behind on responding to you! This weekend was crazy!

@Brandi, you're welcome! I sort of have a sailor mouth, too. Editing is good.

@Jan, thanks! And thank you for stopping by and I hope you had an awesome weekend.

@Law Mama, thank you. I do try my best to be myself, in real life and online.

@KT, thanks for commenting and for starting FBFF! Looking forward to more fun posts in the future.

@Kylie MC, no problem! I enjoy your blog a lot!

Have a great day, everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...