Hi! I'm glad you found this blog. Feel free to look around, but just wanted to let you know that I no longer update this blog and I'm now blogging over at Into The Glimmer. I hope you'll join me there! Cheers!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Perfectly imperfect

Happy 2011! (When did that happen?)

What are your resolutions? Did you make any? Want to hear mine? No? Don't worry, I'll tell you anyway. This year I will not beat myself up for not being perfect. Really. That's it.

a-beautiful-thing-is-never-perfect
A Beautiful Thing by Lisa Barbero

Specifically speaking, when it comes to blogging. You see, I love to write (I majored in it in undergrad, for cripes sake), but I've found that over the course of my blogging journey (which sort of resembled a bouncy ball zinging all over the place), I've let my quest for perfection cripple me to the point where I just stopped blogging altogether. Yes, over the past few months, I had a ton of other things going on- 9 credits of grad school, a new job, my wedding, getting ready to move into a new house (more on those last two three things in a later post)- but I'm sure I could have squeezed some time in a few times a week.

But I didn't.

Because my fashion photos weren't perfect, because my outfits weren't perfect, because I didn't have the perfect thing to say, because I didn't have the perfect blog layout or logo, because I wanted each of my blogs (all 3 of them) to have their own separately perfect niche content...perfection, perfection, perfection.

But you know the funny thing about perfection? It's kind of boring.

So instead of reaching for perfection, I decided to simplify and just do what I love. Here's how:
  • I moved all of the posts from my fashion/inspiration blog, Moxie/Grace, over here.
  • Instead of blogging about indie design over my indie/handmade blog, The Blooming Wildflowers Project, I'm going to create a special category here for such posts.
  • I completely nixed the idea of creating a marketing blog since I got a new job as a Marketing Director and I'm responsible for the blog there.
So now instead of trying to compartmentalize all of my interests into different niche blogs, I'm just going to blog here at Displaced Urbanite. Whether fashion or indie or handmade or just about life in general, whatever inspires me. I'm freeing myself from the constraints of perfection, embracing the work-in-progress nature of my blog (and of my life), and allowing myself to just be.

embrace-imperfectionImperfect by Fourteen23

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...